The Surviving Sepsis Campaign Care Bundles
are the core of the sepsis improvement efforts.
SURVIVING SEPSIS CAMPAIGN BUNDLES
TO BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 HOURS:
1) Measure lactate level
2) Obtain blood cultures prior to administration of antibiotics
3) Administer broad spectrum antibiotics
4) Administer 30 ml/kg crystalloid for hypotension or lactate ≥4mmol/L
TO BE COMPLETED WITHIN 6 HOURS:
5) Apply vasopressors (for hypotension that does not respond to initial fluid resuscitation) to maintain a mean arterial pressure (MAP) ≥65 mm Hg
6) In the event of persistent arterial hypotension despite volume resuscitation (septic shock) or initial lactate ≥4 mmol/L (36 mg/dL):
--Measure central venous pressure (CVP)*
--Measure central venous oxygen saturation (ScvO2)*
7) Remeasure lactate if initial lactate was elevated*
*Targets for quantitative resuscitation included in the guidelines are CVP of ≥8 mm Hg; ScvOs of ≥70%, and normalization of lactate.