The Surviving Sepsis Campaign Bundles are the core of the sepsis improvement efforts. Using "bundles" simplifies the complex processes of the care of patients with severe sepsis. A bundle is a selected set of elements of care that, when implemented as a group, have an effect on outcomes beyond implementing the individual elements alone.
Each hospital's sepsis protocol may be customized, but it must meet the standards created by the bundle. Enhancing reliability of these bundle elements allows teams to focus on aspects of the changes they are implementing to create a reliable system that achieves the goal of 25 percent reduction in mortality due to sepsis called for by the Surviving Sepsis Campaign.
Surviving Sepsis Campaign Bundles
- Revised 4/2015 by the SSC Executive Committee
TO BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 HOURS:
1) Measure lactate level
2) Obtain blood cultures prior to administration of antibiotics
3) Administer broad spectrum antibiotics
4) Administer 30 ml/kg crystalloid for hypotension or lactate ≥4mmol/L
“Time of presentation” is defined as the time of triage in the emergency department or, if presenting from another care venue, from the earliest chart annotation consistent with all elements of severe sepsis or septic shock ascertained through chart review.
TO BE COMPLETED WITHIN 6 HOURS:
5) Apply vasopressors (for hypotension that does not respond to initial fluid resuscitation) to maintain a mean arterial pressure (MAP) ≥65 mm Hg
6) In the event of persistent hypotension after initial fluid administration (MAP < 65 mm Hg) or if initial lactate was ≥4 mmol/L, re-assess volume status and tissue perfusion and document findings according to Table 1.
7. Re-measure lactate if initial lactate elevated.
DOCUMENT REASSESSMENT OF VOLUME STATUS AND TISSUE PERFUSION WITH:
• Repeat focused exam (after initial fluid resuscitation) including vital signs, cardiopulmonary, capillary refill, pulse, and skin findings.
OR TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
• Measure CVP
• Measure ScvO2
• Bedside cardiovascular ultrasound
• Dynamic assessment of fluid responsiveness with passive leg raise or fluid challenge
Of note, the 6-hour bundle has been updated; the 3-hour SSC bundle is not affected.